Cute Pink Kaoani Anime Reviews: Blood Lad

Friday 1 November 2013

Blood Lad



I know I promised to do a review on Blood Lad for a while and you have every right to stone me to death (although you shouldn't). Here's the deal: I have started my university and I have much more stuff to do than I expected . I understand though that some of you have been expecting this review all this time so here we go:...

Before watching it or even reading a plot summary,I was under the impression that Blood Lad had to do with zombies. One of the reasons was that Staz, (the main character) looks so pale... Also Warm Bodies was out for a while now ,so I'm sure it affected me on some extent. The reason I started watching the series was because my friend George insisted on it. (The main reason at least, I won't let him take all the credit :P )




Plot:
Staz is a lazy vampire andalso happens to be the boss of a section of the demon world. Compared to normal vampires though, Staz is not that interested in human blood and prefers to play japanese video games. One day, a human girl named Yanagi Fuyumi accidentally finds herself in the demon world and Staz becomes obsessed with her. But ,when Fuyumi gets killed and becomes a ghost, Staz vows to bring her back to life.

In the Blood Lad universe there are a lot of supernatural beings and most of them has special powers, something that makes the anime more interesting. The anime is consisted of only 10 episodes which ,even for short series is a small number (normal short series are 12 to 13 episodes).
However ,each episode manages to keep you interested with all the events that take place and the sometimes slow ,sometimes fast, pace.


Animation:

As most anime that were released this year Blood Lad also has wonderful animation. I really don't have anything bad to say about it. I know many people aren't going to agree with me and say that the animation was quite obscure and sometimes overused at some points. They may be right. However, I am so pleased with how 2013 animations turn out; so I'll just shut up ,clear my mind and try to find no drawbacks.

Characters: 

Characters and especially their design was one of the most enjoyable elements in the anime .
As I mentioned ,I'm really pleased with how the imrovement of animation during the years. Blood Lad's characters are drawned according to Shounen standards and I must say in a very succesful way. The fighting scenes are exciting to watch ,either they involve magic or not.

I love how all characters are unique and amiable. Compared to other series (see my Amnesia review) they actually have their own "voice" and are very interesting to watch. All of them.

My personal favourite was of course Hydra:



I mean, come on! Who doesn't love her? She's smart ,powerful ,witty (has big boobs) and she's has those adorable moments when blushing!

Ending: The ending of the anime was cut short and that confused me, yet made me carve for more. But still, I don't like it when anime finish and you have a big question mark floating above your head...

In general watching Blood Lad was a great experience. It was a totally different prespective of vampires and I loved it. Hell, I love almost all fantasy realated anime (movies etc...). So I really enjoyed it.


Blood Lad: 8. /10


Next Anime: Shiki





No comments:

Post a Comment