Cute Pink Kaoani Anime Reviews: Amnesia

Sunday 4 August 2013

Amnesia







...And no it has absolutely nothing to do with the horror game "Amnesia: The Dark Descent" . Except the fact that in both stories the main character has got amnesia.
 I've read a lot of stuff for this anime in reviews and such and most of them underline how bad it is. I've also noticed that most of the reviews are written by boys (at least the ones I've read) so let me make something clear....

 Hem, hem..

 This Anime is supposed to be a REVERSE HAREM. Meaning the audience of the anime is supposed to be... women! So yeah, I understand why guys wouldn't like it. It's normal. Except the heroine and some faceless girls there are only TWO other girls in the series. I'm not saying that all girls love it; on the contrary. In general this anime has received many negative reviews.

In any case. I watched the whole anime in one day ,it wasn't that long anyway, just 12 episodes.

The Plot:

 From the first episode Amnesia was fucking confusing. However, for the sake of the anime (and the hot guys) I decided to keep an open mind and see what's going to happen. The second episode confused me even more, but at the same time gave me some suspicions about the story. Basically, the Heroine wakes up and can't remember anything about herself or anyone else. And during the story she tries to collect her memories back. The plot though is more complicated, for some strange reason every time she dies she goes to another universe (in every universe she has a different boyfriend... ). Also, in every universe the personalities of those around her, change. Throughout her little adventure she meets Orion a fairy in the form of a boy who helps her remember her past.
 For me it wasn't that difficult to figure out the story and the whole going-to-a-parallel-universe idea. People who watch Sci-fi movies and well... anime are well acquaintened with that concept. However, to be truthfull the plot lacked something. Amnesia was originally a Japanese visual novel series, so I didn't raise my hopes plot-wise.


The Animation:




 I don't have many things to say about the animation but none of them is bad. Since 2010... o.k. 2011, the animation became awesome. Mored ideas, lovely colours ... In Amnesia I loved the colours and the style of the eyes. It's amazing. I also loved the eyes of the Shiki anime. Pure awesomness! Anime that have to do with magic and such are finally justified.


The Characters:

 Heroine : 

... Oh jesus. I don't know how to say this politely but eh..... I fucking HATE the protagonist.I don't know if it's correct to characterize her as a Mary-Sue since she is so clumsy; she falls so often down its annoying. Basically I don't like shy characters; they are tolerable to an extent but she is so shy I want to slap her repeatedly while shouting "Jesus Fucking Christ woman! Snap out of it!!!".  In one episode she was imprisoned in a cage, like a bird or a dog,  and she is still o.k. with that. She doesn't laugh often, she answers most of the times with one word ,otherwise making sounds meant as a reply, she is naive, she doesn't get irritated no matter what you do to her; she is basically boring!

P.S. Let's take under considaration that after she wakes up with amnesia and she goes to worlds where some people know her, she doesn't even ask her name. Yes ,I know it symbolises that way any female that could undergo such experience but still...

Shin:




... Ah~
Hem hem... So yeah Shin...He is one of Heroine's boyfriends and his personality varies depending on the universe. He is normally timid and logical . I like him a lot as a character.


Ikki:

Ikki in all universes is the characteristical good looking (rich?) guy that every woman wants. Excuse me..., EXCEPT  the protagonist. She is different... She is a retard... God she annoyes me. Anyway , Ikki sometimes works in the same maid caffe the protagonist does. He has a huge fan club, consisted of faceless girls who hate the Heroine (way to go girls!) and try to cause her trouble in almost every episode. Something like Team Rocket from Pokemon, but in comparison to them the fan club actually succeds.

Toma:


I like Toma. He is the cute ,playful guy that every girl would love. Except that episode where his over-possessivness takes over him and drugs the Heroine so she can't leave his house and then locks her in a cage. Other than that, he is a ray of sunshine.


Kent:

Kent is overly serious and a mathematical genius with no sense of humour and knowledge of how to interact with human beings. He is the character that I thought I would hate or at least dislikemost . That is until I paid attention to his voice and recoginzed his seiyuu. Akira Ishida (fan girl scream!). I adore Akira Ishida! His voice is intoxicating. The very first time I heard him in an anime was in Slayers as Xellos. Anyway, although Kent is a little dislikable at the beginning he turned out to be a very cute character.

Ukyo:

Probably my favourite character in the series. Ukyo is the Heroine's true lover (damn you bitch!) and his normal behaviout is shy, timid and well..adorable. He reminds me of N from Pokemon. I also love his bipolar personality. His other self is the exact opposite: His hates the protagonist and tries to kill her repeatadly (yeah!!!). His reasons are explained during the last episodes. Though personally, I don't think he needs an excuse for that.


About the Ending:

 The Ending kind of dissipointed me. There are five possible worlds she could go back to and we never learn which she will choose.Personally, I would choose the Joker Path a.k.a. Ukyo. He killed himself many times in order to save the damn bitch Heroine. The parting with Orion and the fact that she will forget all about him are really sad too.

Generally though, I liked the Anime and I recommend it to female audience who like Otome games.

Amnesia : 5/10                                                                                                                                          
Next Anime : Deadman Wonderland                                                                                                        




No comments:

Post a Comment