Cute Pink Kaoani Anime Reviews: Deadman Wonderland

Tuesday 20 August 2013

Deadman Wonderland





I don't want you to think that I'm only watching girly anime (and Pokemon) so , I decided that today I will review Deadman Wonderland.
Deadman Wonderland was my first gory anime. Until then I was mainly, watching comedy and fantasy style anime. The reasons I started the series were two: 1) My friend George urged me to see it saying how cool it was and how much I was going to like it and 2) Fukuyama Jun was the seiyuu of the character Rokuro Bundo. I love Fukuyama Jun! Not as much as Akira Ishida but I liked him since watching Kuroshitsuji a.k.a. Black Butler. Grell Sutcliff was a fantastic character.



Plot
From the first episode DW had my full attention. The everyday life of the protagonist ,Igarashi Ganta is portrayed in a quick yet efficient way. And then, so quickly that I couldn't comprehend what was happening, takes place the event that changes his life. It was so sudden I had to pause the video, look at my laptop screen and squeal : " What the fuck just happened?". His life was fucked up in a matter of minutes and I felt pity for him.

The anime only lasted 13 episodes and compared to the Manga left out so many details. I was hoping for a second season, but while reading some forums I found out that the anime wasn't as popular as the producers expected so they had decided not to invest money in an anime that wouldn't bring the desired profit. In other words    "No second season"...
 So, as some of you may have guessed I was really dissapointed with the ending... 

Characters

Igarashi Ganta / Woodpecker
.  


 At the beginning I wasn't sure if I liked Ganta. The events that took place in the first episode messed up his life and in the eye of the audience  he has become a tragic character. I pitied him, that's for sure, but I didn't like him. I generally like mentally strong characters and Ganta was your average boy, more naive than most. He's banished to the world of Deadman Wonderland, the infamous prison where all sorts of atrocities take place. And all that because of that bastard Tsunenaga Tamaki, the tyrant that rules DW . However, slowly we see a change in Ganta. He starts becoming more mature in order to get stronger and reduces the oh-so-annoying crying habit. But, I kind of understand him, I don't like blood either. And his reaction in the "Penalty Game" is quite reasonable.

Shiro

Shiro sometimes irritated me a little. She was even more naive than Ganta and so childish I wanted to smack her head. But she could kick ass when Ganta was threatened. I extremelly loved her in the second episode when she was racing along with Ganta. At the beginning I was annoyed at her naive way of facing that dangerous situation, but I couldn't help a loud "Oh! I love you Shiro!!!" when I saw that in fact she was protecting him the whole time. I am also very intrigued  with the double personality fact. I generally love that in a character.


Minatsuki Takami / Hummingbird


I was indifferent to Minatsuki at first I must admit. But during her match with Woodpecker I loved her. She became my number one female character in the series. The whole acting like the cute sister in order to fool her older brother was amazing and her foul mouth had me laughing and clapping my hands from enjoyment... I think I'm weird.



Kiyomasa Senji / Crow


He is the most amazing male character in the series. The badass ,kickass guy who helps the protagonist stop being a wimp and become a man. He is the guy who's already complete mentally and has his own justice. If that's not an awesome character what is? On the other hand he becomes totally embarassed when it comes to the female body.(LOL)

Sakigami Toto / Mockingbird a.k.a. Hagire Rinichiro



... I don't think we've met the actual Sakigami Toto through the anime. Toto is actually the third and Final Generation of Hagire. So no, we don't meet the original Toto at all ...Anyway I liked Hagire's personality. quite twisted and sadistic.


Hibana Daida

I hated that girl from the first moments. It was like watching the "Orphan" all over again. Every scene she was in, gave me goosebumps and an intense pain in the stomach. The only scene I loved with her, was when she was killed by Toto/Hagire (From that moment I liked him even more).

and finally...

Rokuro Bundo

The second reason I started DW ladies and gentlemen... Acting like a timid , computer-genius Rokuro hides his true personality, which is quite twisted (everyone becomes crazy in Deadman Wonderland O.o). His violent neck-cracking habit made me think ,every time, that his head was going to seperate from the rest of the body.


I generally like Deadman Wonderland and the reason I focused only on Characters & Plot is because these are the two things I liked most. And also the animation.

Deadman Wonderland : 7.5 / 10

Next Anime :  Corpse Party: Tortured Souls



No comments:

Post a Comment