Cute Pink Kaoani Anime Reviews: Corpse Party : Totrtured Souls

Friday 6 September 2013

Corpse Party : Totrtured Souls

Six of the protagonists. From left to right: Yuka, Ayumi ,Yoshiki, Yuka's brother Satoshi, Naomi and Seiko

(Major Spoilers ahead... just saying...)


I found out about Corpse Party ,last March ,while looking for RPG Horror games in the internet. A lot of people said how good it was and I wanted it to give it a try. Of course the game was only released in PSP and unfortunately I don't own a console, so I had to watch the Walkthrough on Youtube (I tried downloading it of course, but it was really slow).
 I was amazed. The plot, the characters, the atmosphere; everything about it gave me goosebumps. The intro of course was one of my favourite parts:



Plot : When a certain ritual called Sachiko-Ever-After is performed the wrong way, the ones who performed it are thrown into another dimension.The Heavenly Host Elemntary, which is the place they end up, is a death trap, no one comes out alive. People who die there will relive their deaths for eternity. The only way for this peculiar dimension to be destroyed is to appease the souls of the three children spirits who haunt the halls of the school and find the true culprit behind the murder of these children.

 I didn't watch the Book of Shadows just the Blood Covered series because it had more action. From that moment I was wishing an anime would be released and my prayers were heard on July 2013. But before talking about the anime I would like to say something about the manga.
 There are various manga released in the Corpse Party series:

 Musume: Which was the first one I read and had a lot of revealing em.... images. Kind of Seinen style (O.K. Not just kind of...). It's an alternate story of the game. I liked it in general, though I found the ending more depressing than the one in the game. Also a lot of facts were changed such as the relationship between Yuka and Satoshi. I am a fan of incest in anime but when a little girl is involved it becomes downright weird. They also made Miyo a.k.a. Mayu a crossdresser boy, which I found okay ...weirdly enough... but the way he died was fucking terrifying. Also Yoshiki's appearence changed which bugged me more than it should.

Book of Shadows: Which takes place after the Blood Covered events. Also alternate story... After unknownigly killing Seiko , Naomi has a chance to reverse the events and save her instead. The story ends well. Book of Shadows also talks about Saenoki Naho and her friend who are also sent to the Heavenly Host Elementary School. Unfortunately Naho's story doesn't have a good ending. (Spoiler) Her friend, Sayaka has to witness the son of the principal Yoshikazu, tearing the tongue out of a girl with Sayaka hidden in a closet. After that, she falls asleep and has a dream were Naho is coming back to save her, unknown to her that Yoshikazu is prepared to kill her with a giant hammer....

Another Child: Also an alternate story which I enjoyed greatly! This time the protagonist is a girl named Tamaki Minase and has the ability to see spirits, which is one of the reasons she is being bullied by some of her classmates. Like the Protagonists in the Blood Covered series, she along with her classmates perform the Sachiko-Ever-After ritual and end up in the Heavenly Host Elementary... Madness and disaster is ensued...

Blood Covered: Possibly my favourite series yet still on-going. It follows the events of the game more than the others and the illustrations are great.


I was supposed to talk solemly about the anime series, but there are all these stuff I wanted to mention. When I first heard an anime was going to realeased I was thrilled. I was also prepared for any unexpected  events, for example more deaths. But even after all the preparation I was caught off guard. But first thing first. Enjoy the opening of the series and one of my favourite Japanese songs:



The first half of the first episode was focused on the students and their teacher before arriving to the haunted Elementary school, short of an intro.The rest of it described the story of Seiko and Naomi and how the first died (though we find out in the last episode, but anyway). I wasn't suprised and until then everything went well. I expected Seiko's death, though I'm always hoping that Naomi will save her.

The second episode was much more entairtening. One of the reasons is because Yoshizawa Ryou appears. You know the little ghost boy. I can't help but like young anime boys especially when they are evil... Anyway what was I saying? Oh yes ... the second episode focuses on the rest of the party. Yuka and Satoshi find Morishige taking photos of Mayu's remains (something they don't comment... Wise decision if you ask me considering Morishige will go crazy in that episode and start killing people )

One of the most memorable  and intense scenes though,was of course the death of a little girl called Mayu. Even though, I was prepared for this from the game, this time I saw it animated. The two girl ghosts hold Mayu from her feet and with tremendous speed and force the throw her to the wall at the other side of the hall, making her body tear apart.... Her death was the most gruesome I think... Apart from these gory details the second episode was by far my favourite, containing a lot of action and screentime for the ghost-children.

Compared to the game I noticed many changes, but they were inevitable I guess. However, the deaths I didn't read about caught me off guard. One of them was the death of (please be careful major spoiler ahead) little Yuka. I always loved Yuka and I never expected her to die... She didn't die quickly either. Her death was slow and torturing (and bloody)  and at some point I found myself watching the screen of my computer in horror while whispering " no,no,no,no,no...." continuously... Well ,at least she died in the arms of her brother...

I was also happy to see that they didn't change the characters... as in their personality. Though Yoshiki was a bit of a coward and refused to go to the other world to save their friends. I was pretty mad at him but pretty sure he would come back... And when he did... I changed my mind and wished he had stayed there.

Anyway, I've gave you enough spoilings but some of you might want to be prepared for the bloodbath that will come with these series. To sum up : I think the anime it was worth waiting and all fans of gruesome horror will find this series more than satisfying. Even though horror is not my favourite genre I found the series disgustingly enjoyble.

Oh, and I quick warning : Don't expect a happy ending! Compared to the anime the game's ending was ten times happier...

Corpse Party 9/10

Next Anime : Skip Beat







No comments:

Post a Comment